503/32 York Street 2000 Sydney, NSW
Phone: 1800774954(Toll Free)

1800774954 Toll Free


503/32 York Street Sydney NSW 2000

Student Visa



You need student visa if:

You would like to study in Australia for more than 3 months.

You would like to work while studying in Australia

How long can I stay in Australia with my student visa?

You can stay in Australia during your course + holidays. During your course you must have good attendance:

  • At English language schools the attendance has to be at least 80%
  • At other types of schools (colleges, universities) the attendance should be the same, at least 80%, but you also have to achieve satisfactory course progress.

Applying for a student visa

In Australia, the application for a student visa depends on:

  • Your nationality
  • What type of course you are going to study
  • And which school you will be applying for

These factors (especially nationality and school) will determine how comprehensive your application will be, i.e. in which risk level your application will be assessed against.

What does Risk Level mean?

The Risk level is ranked from 1 (lowest risk) to 3 (highest risk) for each country and school provider:

The combination of country of passport and school chosen determine the documentation you should provide to be able to have your student visa granted. See Border.gov website.

What do I need to apply for a student visa?

  • You need to be enrolled for a full time course – at least 20 hours per week.
  • The school provider must be registered with CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) so they will be able to issue a COE – Confirmation of Enrolment.
  • Financial documents

Points To Be Noted

  • Depending on the risk level of your application (see above), you will need to prove you have enough money to cover costs such as air tickets, course tuition fees, and general living costs in Australia.
  •  On average you will need to show you have at least AUD $19,830 for a single application in your bank account or a sponsor’s bank account. However, Immigration may ask for more evidence of financial support depending on your risk level.

English level and Academic Requirements

Depending on the course you are applying for, the school/immigration may request an Official English Test score such as IELTS, PTE or Cambridge to have as proof of your English proficiency. For some qualifications you might need to provide proof your previous studies.

Immigration will also consider

  • The situation of your home country
  • Academic and employment history and records of what you have done that is related to the course you are going to study.
  • Your immigration history in Australia – if extending a visa

General Procedure to apply for a Student Visa

Below is a guide that shows the main steps when applying for a student visa. This process may vary depending on the Risk Level of the applicant:
  1. Submit school application
  2. Receive Letter of Offer/Acceptance and Invoice from school
  3. Pay your course fees
  4. Receive an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) and receipt of payment
  5. Organize Health Insurance - OSHC
  6. Organize Financial support
  7. Organize Medical examination*
  8. Submit Visa application including all documents requested through Immi Account
  9. Wait for Immigration to process your application
  10. Once your visa is approved you can enter Australia

*Medical Examination

You might be asked to have a medical examination by an authorized doctor when you apply for your visa depending on your country of residency's health risk which is determined by the Australian Government.

When extending your visa, you might be asked for medical examinations again if your last examination was done more than 12 months ago.


See more information on Border.gov website.

Contact Us